Friday, February 17, 2012

Authenticity

Let's slow it down here for a sec. As fun as it is blogging about the joys in my life, the last thing I want to do is come off as phony. My life is far from rainbows and roses. I try to be genuine on this blog. Along with sharing my happiness on this journey through life I also find it important to discuss my inner thoughts, doubts, experiences and even some of my personal hardships.

One of my goals for this new year was to become a more authentic person. It's been on my mind and I've been pondering how to address it. Today Cup of Jo brought up the exact same subject. In an earlier post, she quoted something her mother said about authenticity which I absolutely love-

"It seems to me that being authentic is being brave enough or just candid enough to be honest about what you are experiencing or who you are, whether it is popular are not. A person gives a gift to other people when they say, 'This is what happened to me or this is how I truly feel, no matter what the popular belief is about what I should feel.' Whenever you are honest, you are speaking for a thousand silent people who don't have the voice to say what they really feel or are really experiencing. So, if you ever talk about [the thing you went through], you will touch a million hearts. Because you are speaking for more than just yourself. You are never alone in what you are feeling."

2011 was full of amazing times. Some great memories I will never forget! I also experienced some heartache-trials that affected me so much it has made me take a step back and examine every aspect in my life. Somedays I feel strong and unshakeable. Other days I feel like I'm suffocating-anxiety is high and spirits are low.

I share this with you now because it's you, my beautiful friends, who help me see the splendor in life. I find so much happiness in the people I love. I find great joy in seeing the beauty in others. I'm trying to gain perspective from not only my own experiences but of those who are closest to me. That's why I find the "blogging world" such a blessing! Reading the experiences of others helps me to realize that I am not alone. The love and support from those I care about helps me wake up every morning with hope, a smile on my face and confidence that everything is going to be ok.


3 comments:

  1. Hello new friend - I like this post too http://yanphoto.com/blog/sick-of-it/

    She kind of touches on the whole "let's be honest here" thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelle, I LOVE that. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete