Thursday, April 26, 2012
Everyone stop what you're doing. I have HUGE news.
I. Katie Widdison. Have found the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie!
You know its gotta be good if this thing gets it's very own blog post. :) I'm not ashamed to admit that when it comes to cookies I'm kind of a snob. I can tell a good cookie from a bad cookie just by looking at it. You guys. This mother effing thing is the real deal. It's exterior provides the perfect little crunch while it's middle is soft and chewy. It delivered the perfect combination of flavors in your mouth- a little salty, alotta sweet with the ideal amount of chocolate chips. We can thank my favorite little bistro for providing my mouth with this exquisite little baked good.
By no means was I searching for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. If fact, I've always been confident that I actually made the best around. I'm humbled to admit that this cookie has surpassed my own. It was so good in fact that I forced myself to stop eating it this afternoon just so I could enjoy the other half later. And let me tell you, that quite possibly may have been the best life decision i've ever made. My taste buds are literally exploding with jubilance as I type this. It was fate that we found each other.
I may or may not save the last few bites for Jason to enjoy when he gets home from his 16 hour day at school.
Monday, April 23, 2012
Today I am nostalgic. I often get lost in happy memories of my past. Today more than usual.
Today I am tired. I had a long, eventful weekend that has left my body in need of some rest and rejuvenation.
Today I am sore. A hilling run has made my body ache in places it hasn't before.
Today I am missing my husband. The start of finals has begun which makes for some lonely evenings alone.
Today I am still. I've been working on some techniques to be more in control of my anxiety. I am happy to report that they are working.
Today I am humbled. A new book has helped me gain a greater perspective on life.
but most of all,
Today I am thankful.
I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my home. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for the peace and serenity my soul is finding again. I am thankful that the sun chose to come out today and kiss my cheeks.
My dear friends. My heart is full.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Last weekend we went to Seattle with our friends Logan and Michelle to see Radiohead. Words can not express the mind blowing that took place at that show. I know I'm going to sound like a hipster music freak here, but it was more than a concert-it was an experience. I can't even begin to describe the magnificence that took place. I think Jason blogged about it perfectly. Check it out here.
The entire weekend was incredible. We ate indian food, hot tubed, walked around the city, got our fill of Ivars, took touristy Space Needle pictures and ended the trip off right at the concert.
Logan and Michelle mean the world to Jason and I. They have been there for us through thick and thin, they make us laugh harder then anyone else and have proven what true, long lasting friendship is all about. Without a doubt, we will be friends with these guys forever. (We kinda have to be-Jason and Logan are starting a law practice together after they graduate..more on that later). I know this may sound cheesy but I really do believe that we were meant to meet these guys. They are just the best.
Here are a few pictures from the trip-
If you ever get a chance to see Radiohead live, you must! It was definitely something I'll never forget.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
On Easter weekend we went to the Chambers house for some fun holiday festivities! Dinner and dying eggs was on the agenda. As you can see below, the boys took their egg dying pretty seriously. (Jason didn't get the striped shirt memo.)
It's always such a fun time getting together. Thanks Adam and Kassidy for a great evening!
And what's an Easter post without showing off our Sunday best? Here we are hammin' it up before church.
Jason got really into it....
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday full of chocolate bunnies, deviled eggs and pastel sunday attire!
Sunday, April 8, 2012
Monday, April 2, 2012
Coconut Curry with Cilantro Lime Chicken
My friend Laura recommended this meal to me this weekend and I must say, it was delicious! Not to mention extremely easy! We can thank pinterest for this mouthwatering meal. :) Here's the recipe-
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- pinch cayenne
- 1 small fresh hot chili, such as Thai or Serrano, minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges
- Trim fat from chicken breasts. Starting on thick side of the breasts slice the chicken breasts almost in half, then open each like a book.
- Place each open breast between two pieces of plastic wrap, wax paper or inside a large, open, Ziploc bag.
- Using a small heavy pan, bottle or smooth meat mallet lightly pound out each breast into even thickness.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except fresh cilantro and limes.
- Add chicken and marinade to a large bowl or ziploc bag and chill in the refrigerator for up to two hours.
- Your chicken doesn’t take long to cook so you can use this time to get your dishes prepped and ready.
- Once you are ready to cook the chicken, remove each breast from the marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil continuously for at least 2 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- In a heavy skillet or grill pan, heat a splash of oil over high heat.
- Cook the chicken in batches to prevent over crowding the pan.
- Place the breasts in the hot pan and cook without turning for a couple minutes
- Flip the breasts over and cook until the other side is golden, it shouldn’t take long depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Place cooked breasts over rice and drizzle remaining sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with fresh lime juice and cilantro.
*A slight change to the recipe-I used chicken tenderloins. This cuts out steps 1, 2 & 3
Enjoy! We sure did!
Sunday, April 1, 2012
There has been a lot of buzz lately going around the web about Outstanding In The Field. You guys-I am drooling over this event! I want to go so badly. This nation wide traveling dinner seems like the perfect summer activity. Here's what it's all about-