Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Arizona-Happy 100!

Happy belated birthday to my favorite state! How ironic that the place I love was made a state on the day OF love. 100 years of the most glorious sunshine I've ever known...now that's something to be proud of. In honor the Zona's bday I've compiled a list of some of things I love about her. Here goes-

1. The sunsets. Oh my, the sunsets. They've been ranked in the top 10 best sunsets in the WORLD. And rightly so.
2. The red rock. Nothing beats a nice drive through Sedona while admiring the gorgeous red rocks around every bend and turn.
3. 75 degree winters-enough said.
4. Night swimming in the summer. The water is so warm! It feels like you're swimming in a giant hot tub.
5. The Freeways. AZ has the best freeways I've ever driven on! I know that may seem silly but after living in Utah and Washington and having to drive on their sorry excuses for roads, I reallyyyy miss AZ driving. I'm talking smooth, well lit, 6 lanes on EACH side, beautiful freeways. Not to mention a carpool lane that's only a carpool lane during rush hour. All other times it's just a bonus lane. :)
6. The mexican food. Oh the things I would give for an Elmer's bean and cheese burrito right now!
7. Suburbia. You might be saying to yourself, "are you crazy?!"... but I'm not. I loved living in the east valley where all the cities are touching. I loved that if I went out to eat in Chandler and the restaurant was too busy, I'd just hop on over to Mesa to eat at the same exact restaurant without a wait. I love that there are almost 10 major malls within a 50 mile radius. I'm just a city girl at heart, what can I say...
8. Getting a healthy dose of vitamin D all year round.
9. The desert landscape. If you didn't grow up in Arizona you might think it was the ugliest place in the world but I find cactus and jacaranda trees pretty dang beautiful.
10. The Grand Canyon.
11. The reservations. You won't find a better deal on turquoise jewelry, woven blankets or pottery anywhere else.
12.Quick Trip! aka QT! You don't know the glory of a fountain drink until you've visited a QT.
13. Monsoon season.
14. Haboobs.
15. Being able to wear flip flops and a light sweat shirt in the winter.
16. An Arizona drivers license...mine doesn't expire till 2053. LOL
17. Professional sports. We've got um all.
18. Cubs spring training games!
19. Desert hikes
and last but not least...in the words of my dad-
20. You never have to shovel sunshine!

*Picture from this etsy shop. I want!

3 comments: