Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Letting Go

Remember when  I said I was a sucker for groupon? When I saw a deal for chinese floating lanterns I didn't even think twice about hitting "purchase" on my iphone. 

 This experience is on the top of my list of Spokane memories. 

On Sunday the gang decided to get together for one last shebang before everyone headed out for the summer for different internships. Being the sap that I am, I knew I wanted to do something really special and memorable before we all went our separate ways. The lanterns were just the ticket. 

I'm not sure if they really are wishing lanterns or not but we all decided to "let something go" as they ascended into the sky. 

Holy Moly.

That was one of the most therapeutic things I think I've ever done. We all went off privately to different corners of the yard with our spouses to decide what it was that we were going to let these lanterns take away from us. I know for me, there were a few things I was ready to have lifted from my shoulders. Saying it out loud with my husband as he in turn told me what he was also letting go of was so beautiful and also so powerful. Then we all gathered back together, ready to watch our pain, our frustration, our hardships, our obstacles...whatever it may be, float peacefully away. 

I can safely say that there wasn't a dry eye there. As I laid there in the grass watching these giant glowing lanterns drift away, I honestly felt a peaceful renewal in myself that was beyond description. The quietness that filled the air was almost tangible. Tranquility overcame the audience and I think we we all became a little more aware of the beautiful futures that lie ahead of us.

I will remember this night forever and for always.






Pictures courtesy of le husband

3 comments:

  1. How fun! We did this earlier in the year with our Young Women (the theme this year is abouut arising and shining... get it), and it was one of the most amazing thigs we've ever done with them. I'm totally with you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally just got goosebumps reading this. Apparently I am your match in sappiness. Love it! And can I also add that your groupon is way better than any offers I ever get? It seems like all that is ever offered to me is laser skin rejuvination and crap like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! was it like "tangled"?!

    ReplyDelete