Saturday, May 5, 2012

Putting one foot in front of the other



"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."
-George Sheehan

 I use to be an avid runner. I registered for race after race. I got up early and stayed up late just to make sure I pounded the pavement almost daily. This sport is capable of changing my body faster than any other physical activity. When I run I am lean, I am tone but most importantly I am strong-and not just physically strong. It strengthens your mind in ways you'll never really understand until you get out there and do it. There is something so therapeutic about the steady motion of your feet hitting the ground in perfect harmony with one another.

step. step. step.

This is a sport where you are competing against yourself. Getting faster, pushing harder, running longer. I craved my runs. I needed them in more ways then I ever thought. I needed them to wake me up in the morning. To clear my head in the evenings. I needed them to push me past what I thought my capable limit was. There is no greater high then beating your own personal record.

And then I stopped. For two whole years I barely ran. It makes me so sad to think that I let something so amazing go.

So here I am. Starting again. I've been consistent for a few months now and I'm finally remembering what I have been missing out on. It hasn't been easy. I've had to teach my body how to breath. How to push. How to gain speed all over again. I have been sore and I have been tired. But the more consistent I am, the easier it gets. It's coming back quick and I am falling in love with it all over again.

Recently I've been feeling ready to get out there and race again. So today was the day. This morning Jason and I ran the Bloomsday 12k together.

It. was. awesome.

I felt like I found a piece of myself that had been missing. I flew down hills and then pushed myself back up again. I set goals for myself and met every one of them. I was loving life the whole time and I didn't want to stop once I crossed the finish line.

So I won't. 

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me to start running! Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm I need to go run right now! That was inspiring Katie and I wish I loved running like you, I am trying to work on it. But so happy for you and you are such an amazing and talented writer!

    ReplyDelete