Friday, July 27, 2012

My life as a carnie



Being that we are only on the west side of the state temporarily (i.e. 3 months), I knew finding a short term job was going to be a tricky task. But then lo and behold I made a discovery...

Have you ever perused the "gigs" section on craigslist? 

ha!

If you've got some time to kill get on that sucker and check it out. It's full of temp jobs and boy oh by are some of them a hoot. 

Like this one for example-
"WANTED. Goodlooking, fit male willing to keep your shirt off for 6-8 hours. Job requires some dancing and spending a good portion of the day on your feet. Saturday-Sunday, pride festival downtown Seattle. Must be outgoing. Gig pays $100 per day. Wear comfortable shoes."

I tried really hard to get Jason to do that gig but sadly he declined. ;) 

I did however find a few winners. At the beginning of the summer I landed a cashiers job at the Rock N' Roll Marathon expo. Since I am in the process of training for a marathon myself, I was pretty pumped to have scored this gig. It payed 14 bucks an hour to spend the day checking people out as they bought ridiculously expensive running gear. And who better to spend the day around then runners? Runners are the HAPPIEST people on earth. Spending time around all those extra endorphins made for a pretty great time. 

After that I found a job listing for a shaved ice and cotton candy enthusiast! Hey, that's me! I love cotton candy! I love shaved ice even more!

Done freaking deal.

Four weekends and counting, you're looking at the newest addition to the carnie world. I even recruited Jason to work at the busy festivals. From law student to carnival worker...I don't think his parents could be prouder. 

Believe it or not, it's actually a lot of fun. Not to toot my own horn but I am a cotton candy pro! That shiz is hard to handle but I've got it down to an art form. :)
It gets pretty hectic and the lines get ridiculously long from time to time, but for the most part its a pretty stress free job. And since its only on the weekends that gives me plenty of time during the week to train for my marathon. Plus, I get all the shaved ice and cotton candy my little heart desires.

WIN WIN WIN

I can't wait to update my resume. 


PS-the people watching at these events is FANTASTIC.
Take this baby for example-


IS THAT NOT THE LARGEST MAN BABY YOU'VE EVER SEEN?!
He only spoke Spanish too. 

Carnie life, I think I might miss you...

2 comments:

  1. this is my FAVORITE post. esp that baby! and just everything. and that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so fun!! i'm going to check out the gigs section right this minute.

    ReplyDelete