Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Story.

For the past few weeks, Jason has been talking about going hiking. This past Saturday was the day! (Unknowing to me that he was going to propose.) He told me the night before that some friends were coming with so getting engaged didn't even cross my mind. I was kinda bummed because I secretly wanted him to propose before my birthday and this was the last weekend before it. At this point, I wasn't too hopeful that it would happen.

Jason woke me up bright and early on Saturday morning. 6 am to be exact. He told me that Marshall got called in to work the lunch shift so him and Beth wouldn't be able to make it. I totally believed him! We drove up to the base of of Squaw Peak and began our climb to the very tip top. Important things to know-Jason LOVES hiking. He doesn't enjoy any other physical activity except that. Me on the other hand, make me run 10 miles and I'll do it in a heartbeat, but make me climb a mountain up hill... not my favorite activity. I was a good sport for about the first hour and a half of the hike, mostly because I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. When Jason informed me that we still had two hours (after the first hour and a half) to go, I was not a happy camper...or hiker in this case. I complained for the next hour. No joke. I was the biggest baby. Jason was so kind though and reassured me that we were, "almost to the top". I decided after a good amount of complaining that I wasn't going to win so I better just suck it up because at this point we were not turning around.

The hike went from being steep, to steep and muddy, and then to steep and snowy. I couldn't believe that he still wanted to get to the top! At this point I changed my attitude and tried to just make happy conversation....even though my feet were frozen and I wasn't really having any fun.

After almost 4 hours of climbing uphill we made it to the top! It was gorgeous. I really had never seen anything so beautiful. I went and sat on the edge to rest and enjoy the view. OH! I forgot to mention that Jason carried a 2o pound pack back the whole time filled with snacks, water, his camera AND his tri-pod. Crazy. After about 5 minutes, Jason called for me to come back up to where he was.

He held me in his arms and told me how much he loved me. He told me that this hike could easily compare to relationships. He said that they can be hard at times and you may want to quit, but once you get to the top it's so worth it. Next, he grabs a little box out of his pocket, gets down on one knee and asks me to marry him!

I was stunned. I couldn't hold back the tears. Never in my entire life had a moment ever felt so perfect. Here I was, standing on top of a mountain with the man I loved, who, from this moment on was going to be the person I shared the rest of my life with. I can't express to you the intense confirmation I received at that very moment that THIS was right.

So, there it is! Our engagement story. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with my very best friend.

Jason. I love you past the stars and the moon!




9 comments:

  1. GREAT PICTURES! WOW! Me heart Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great beginning to....Together Forever!!! I'm so happy for both of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect engagement story. Love it, love it. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy, happy tears rolling down my cheek...

    ReplyDelete
  5. dang it Katie! I got teary eyed...You guys are going to be so extremely happy together! marriage is simply...the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! So happy for you guys!! Can't wait for October!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stop making me cry over here. bahhhhhh sooooooo excitedddddddddd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! Mitch (my hubby) said, "They hiked & he propsed???That's SWEET!" :)

    ReplyDelete